What is Frezno Funnies #1 worth?

Started by over40artist, July 27, 2008, 02:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

over40artist

I've never bought a copy, but I am trying to help Fogel finish the update. Fresno Comix is in the FUG, but neither issue of Hansen's Frezno Funnies is. I can't find any recent sales on the internet. I paid $15 for a #2 in FN, and have seen VF copies go for about $25. Sounds about right.

But what about #1? Two printings, the first printing of 500 S&N copies. The second 140 numbered copies. I know this is a fairly high value comic, but I can't remember what they went for. $200 in VF? more?

Any help would be appreciated!

over40artist

Ha, that's funny, right after posting that, I was flipping through a box looking for something else and stumbled upon a copy of Frezno Funnies #1. So I DO own one. It's a 2nd print in about FN/VF (numbered 632). I think I know who I bought it from, but I don't remember what I paid for it and it's one of those rare comics that was not logged in my database.

It's also signed by Hansen, so I presume all of the 2nd printing copies were also signed by Hansen.

Kennedy had the first print going for $36 and the second for $30.

Reverend

This makes me wish I had kept records of psychedelicomix's and neatstuff's auction closings. I know at least three copies of FF #1 (1st and 2nd printings) came and went in the past two years, but cannot recall for how much. I want to say that a 1st in NM condition went for between $200-300.

dr_s

I just bought a vf+ for $110 resale. $300 will be my charge. $250 for a member.

ProJunior

Quote from: over40artist on July 27, 2008, 02:21:54 AM
It's a 2nd print in about FN/VF (numbered 632).
Hmmm .... mine's numbered 634.  Wonder if it'd be a VF to NM?  I'm not a good judge.  (See below.)
It's also signed by Hansen, so I presume all of the 2nd printing copies were also signed by Hansen.
Yeah, so's mine, so you're probably right.

-Projunior[/b]
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

RebelVisions

over40artist

Fresno Comix is a classic, high-end comic book; cool Thompson artwork (love Thompson). FUG already has it for $250 in NM with a $310 HRP. I have seen FN copies go that high, so definitely a keeper.

bookchuck

Hello All. At some point I need to earn some thread cred so it might as well begin here. This is what I show for 2006-7 Ebay and I didn't see the need to drill back any farther, but I can if anyone would like. One did go without a bid at an open of $150 in '05 and  I didn't find anything by neatstuff, but this may not represent every single auction either. Theirs may have gone for more. Check out that 2nd, eh.

9/07: VF/NM #323, $103 (sold by) fishnuts       3/07: VF #188, $103, psychedelicomix     11/06: VF/NM, 2nd, $319, 1stcomix
3/06: VF/NM #45, $213, uforickposters

dr_s

Trust me, It has gone for more than $250 more than once. I and the Shadow know.

over40artist

Yeah, that there is some eBay bargains, no doubt. Bookchuck, did that 1stComix auction actually sell or did it end with no bids? I thought he relisted it at under $300.

dr_s

I know of one that sold for $280 after a 20% discount.

drbenway

bookchuck

Of course I would trust you to know, dr_s. And I have to say to everyone; DOH! I'm a bit rusty, as well as new at this, and forgot how read the damn database. So, not trusting my eyes and fingers a second time, here's the raw data. You were dead-on Over40; it looks like 1st never did sell his. I added the only 2005 non-sale, just to give perspective.

Frezno Funnies 1 (first print, 1-500 run)*

Top Bid--Date--------Winnner-------Runner-up---------------Seller-   -    -    -   -   -   -   -   Notes
$289.00--01/12/07-------------------------------------------------1stcomix                   VF/NM   could be a 2nd.  No bids
$173.00--03/14/07--grg1313------mirrabelle-$170-------psychedelicomix---------VF          #188/500
$103.00--09/16/07--mirrabelle---dr_scheiman-$100---fishnuts                    VF/NM   #323 of 500, sold w/ VF copy of #2

$319.00--11/28/06-------------------------------------------------1stcomix                   VF/NM   no bids
$213.00--03/14/06--mthwhbr----dans*collectable-$210-uforickposters           VF/NM    Signed & #ed (#45)
$319.00--11/28/06--------------------------------------------------1stcomix                   VF/NM   no print mentioned, no bids

$150.00--02/20/05--------------------------------------------------tjanzic                    VF   #624 of 640      2nd print no bids

dr_s

btw, I sold the $280 one. What I find, and I have had this discussion both with Jason and Guy in person, is that most collectors have no idea what undergrounds can sell for to the right customer. I have had several collectors, who I have met at shows, tell me get me every underground in existence. Price is no object. As a result, I've had to pay top retail and then turn it. I've paid $35 from a Ca store bin for the Fresno and the guy who was selling the Nash collection sold me one with a Doomsday for $90 for the pair. I think it should be a $500+ book due to it's rarity. But you gots to sell it first.

Reverend

Shit, I wish I could meet some of those people when I'm selling things.