Standardized Format?

Started by Sir Real, October 10, 2007, 04:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Real

Okay, I knew this was going to happen.  And it just had to be me to bring it up... :police:

We probably should agree on a standard format in which to display the comix info.  This includes what info is displayed, in what order, and image sizes.

I've have made an example using All-Atomic Comics

Then OM made an example using Freak Brothers #1, using what is probably Fandango's cover uploads.

I can see the need for a large scan, but I think a thumbnail sized image would be better for the initial page.  We could actually use both sizes.  I've created another example using Aardvark #2, with the thumbnail on the initial page, and a larger image linked to it.

These are the proposed rules for standardized format...

1.  Thumbnail image (if you have one) should be 100px in height, 72dpi.  Width is unimportant if kept proportional.
2.  Cover image should be 1,000px in height, 72dpi
3a.  Publishing info (pages, publisher, price, etc.) should be kept in a single line, separated by commas.
3b.  Publishing info (pages, publisher, price, etc.) should be divided into multiple lines.
4.  In the page, the Edition starts, then the thumbnail, then pub info...
5.  If you have a website displaying a particular item, you can add a link to it here.

If we all hammer down an agreed upon standard, we'll turn it into a sticky.

These are the ideas.  Discussion anyone?
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Visitor Q

I think we should def. go with a bigger size scan like FB#1, maybe something like 800X600? We should also crop everything as well, keep the scans clean and all that other bullshit out i.e. scanner glass.

My 2 cents.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Comix Junky

I like your ideas SirReal.
I like thumbs leading to larger scans.
Maybe also a button leading to a page of tells.

I see a possable bottleneck in the syntax learning curve.
Folks may tend to just drop their info or scan, (like i already have) and hope that someone else with more skill will tidy it up. (guilty)
Or maybe we can come up with some kind of cut-n-paste templet that folks can fill in.
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Visitor Q

Don't get me wrong, I like the thumb nail idea as wel but are we going to stick to a certain size for both?

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Sir Real

Quote from: Comix Junky on October 11, 2007, 12:39:57 PM
I see a possible bottleneck in the syntax learning curve.
Folks may tend to just drop their info or scan, (like i already have) and hope that someone else with more skill will tidy it up. (guilty)
Or maybe we can come up with some kind of cut-n-paste template that folks can fill in.
Yeah, the syntax is really different than what most folks are used to.  I've been thinking about the template idea myself.  It would be easy to make, but I'm not sure how we'd place it on the wiki.  Let me think of something.

I've also considered the idea of a "Tells" page(s).  Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is a near duplicate of the way Zonker has his done.  Its well thought out and very clear.

Quote from: Ultimo Mondo Bizarro on October 11, 2007, 11:23:17 AM
I think we should def. go with a bigger size scan like FB#1, maybe something like 800X600? We should also crop everything as well, keep the scans clean and all that other bullshit out i.e. scanner glass.

Don't get me wrong, I like the thumb nail idea as well but are we going to stick to a certain size for both?

Jason
Now, let's get gritty.  Your suggestion of using a large size of 800x600 is okay except for one minor point.  In order to keep the image proportional, only one of the axis' is needed.  If I make the height 800px, then the width should be automatically adjusted to keep the height to width ratio.  The width will vary between comic scans, but not by much.  I initially picked 1,000px for the large scan out of my head only because it was a nice, round number.  On my own site, I reduce the original 150dpi scans by 75% and 72dpi.  I'm not opposed to a different size, as long as we all agree, and stick to it.

As for sticking to a certain size, I look at it this way.  Looking into the future, I'd like to see this UGWiki become the ultimate compendium for this field.  How would I expect to the finished product to look?  Kennedy kept a standard format throughout his guide because it kept a neat appearance.  Its a mark of professionalism.  Anything less just won't garner the credibility needed for it to grow.

Sir Real

Ah, I see that CJ has created some "folders" in the Wiki Images area.  Specifically Covers and Thumbs.  I was wondering if this was going to become necessary.

Were you planning on moving the images in the root into those folders?

Sir Real

Okay, I see that CJ is working on the image folders right now.  I'll just hold off a bit until he gets worked out.

Visitor Q

I think it's going to be really hard to enforce some sort of scan size unless you can do it automatically.

Personally after looking at the scan I upload, maybe I should have cropped it.

http://headcomix.info/wiki/doku.php?id=gothic_blimp_works_2

Jason

Comix Junky

Quote from: Sir Real on October 15, 2007, 09:44:10 PM
... Were you planning on moving the images in the root into those folders?
Who me?  I don't think i know how to move them. I wasn't planning anything,
i was just doing what was easyest for me. (selfish basterd that i am).
I couldn't tell if i was looking at a thumb of a cover, or a thumb of a thumb.
I would devide those into aphabetical sub-folders, cus we're gonna have thousands of images to scroll through, eventually.
Where did the "atom" folder come from, did i do that?
I don't see any way to delete it.
---------------
---------------
makes my skin crawl.

Sir Real

Delete it?!?  I can't even figure out how to create folders.

Comix Junky

In the upload or "Media Files" window;
You can use the box that says:  "Upload as (optional):"
to change the file name of course, but you can also use it to specify
the folder that you want the image to go in. thusly:
tells:a:an-example.jpg      (colons as seporators)
If the folder "tells" sub-folder "a" don't exist, it creates them.
(if the folder do exist, it's easier to navigate to it then upload)
I think i created the Atom folder while figuring it out.

I guess if ya don't know how to do something here,
bluff your way through it,  maybe it will do it for ya.   (shrug)
---------------
---------------
makes my skin crawl.

Sir Real

I gotta remember that if ya want to create something, assume that it already exists.

Sir Real

Okay, CJ.  Here's the situation...

I just went and added a bunch of single cover images to the :covers: folder.  Now that I know how to make 'em, its a no-brainer.

...and here's the question...

Do you have the capability of moving and/or deleting image files from this area?  I ask only in the interest of keeping the files organized.

Comix Junky

:viking:
Dam.
Aperently not.
Stuff i create or upload via FTP,  is read-only in the wiki.
Stuff creatied or uploaded via the wiki, is read-only to my FTP program.
---------------
---------------
makes my skin crawl.

Sir Real

Okay, we'll deal with that.

Now, another thing has crossed my mind that probably should be made clear, and no confusions.  In looking at an uploaded scan of Ban Zai! #1, I see that it is censored (bottom center).

Should we be concerned about some of the more explicit cover art that's gonna be here?