"Let's all just rip-off Walt Disney" - who drew this?

Started by germund, April 20, 2008, 11:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germund

I've had this original page in my collection for many years, but so far noone has been able to identify the artist or where/when it was used. Does anybody here recognize it?

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=79292

It's a cool piece so I'm not looking to sell it, and one thing is certain: the guy (I assume it's a guy) knew a lot about old Disney comics.

And oh yes, I forgot: it's signed "Radios, Boston"

50Cent #II (1st print)

The only reference I could find is your post from 2002 requesting info. on this page in Swedish here, sorry:
http://www.nafsk.se/kvack/2002-2.html

germund

Well, I have tried hard for a long time! :01_bounce:
I believe the only way to solve this puzzle would be if it was actually published somewhere or the artists would recognize it. Still it annoys me ... it's just too good and initiated to be by someone totally unknown. Thanks a lot for the effort!

Rick Bradford

Wow, now I'm really curious too...

There's no date indication either?

Is the art all drawn on a single board or are the panels pasted on? It almost looks like it could've been drawn for a mini-comic of some sort.
www.poopsheetfoundation.com
mini-comix history, cover galleries, forums, more

germund

A mini-comic? Not a bad idea! A great idea actually! The first panel says 7c and Gladstone says "Number two". And the last panel does look like back cover! Hey, you're a very intelligent man! Thanks! Why didn't I see that?

Every single panel is the same size and pasted onto the board separately, which leads me to another thing ... it may very well be several different artists, as the drawings style differ between panels. For some reason, even a copyright is included (copyright Radios, Boston). No date, but I'd say ca 1980 or so since Mickey says (in the last panel), "Not bad for an ol' guy in his fifties!" Mickey turned 50 in 1978 (the cartoon Steamboat Wille was released November 1928).

Comix Junky

It's in JKs guide #1102
Kazoo #2
Artists - "The Radios"
(not much help)
Also did:  "Kazoo 1",  "Kazoo 2", "Big City Blooz"
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Wow, you've been looking where it's been printing for 6 years (or more) and post here and get the answer within a day or two.  Now that's impressive. I'm interested in seeing a copy of Kazoo #1 and 2.  Does it list the year?  I'll check the Wiki.

Nope, not there.  I'll check all my scans when I get home tomorrow...

germund

> Wow, you've been looking where it's been printing for 6 years
> (or more) and post here and get the answer within a day or two.

Oh, I've probably had this for more than six years, and I have to admit that I'm impressed. THANKS - and I really mean it! Next question: Who was or were "Radios"?

If anybody's interested, I could scan the panels.