Who is your favorite Underground Artist?

Started by Visitor Q, November 09, 2007, 03:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visitor Q

"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Sir Real

Hey, you just can't go starting up a topic/question without answering it yourself! :twak:

My fave UG artist is the little-known Ed Watson, of California Comics fame. :bannana:
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Visitor Q

S. Clay Wilson (Artist)
Kim Deitch (Artist/ Writer)
Peter Bagge (Artist/ Writer)
Robt. Williams (Artist)
Todd Schorr (Artist)

I guess I have a few.

Jason
"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world."

Visitor Q

My friend and I got talking about Corben last night; in fact I brought your name up Arnold. Now it's not like I think Corben is a bad artist or anything, I just always considered him to be more of a fantasy artist than anything. Considering that I am a horror movie fan too, I always like his work along those lines best. The one thing though I have got to say, Corben has a very unique style. When I see his artwork I can always pick it right out and that I can really appreciate about him. He is like Basil Wolverton, often copied but never matched.

Jason

Brother J

Well, I'll say the obvious one, since no one else has: R. Crumb.

I also have a soft spot (right between my ears) for Rory Hayes.

I'm really taking a liking to Rand Holmes art, I'll have to pick up a few more items.

Mike Roden (RIP) is a personal favorite, partly because he was such a nice guy, but his art stands out for me among the guys working in the minis

I also like JR Williams, his stuff makes me laugh my ass off. I'd like to pick up more of his early minis if I can ever find them cheaply.

Visitor Q

Crumb is amazing but I have never heard one person who has met him say that he wasn't an asshole. I hear he walks around with a chip on his shoulder 24/7.

Roden... Nothing but nice things to say about that guy! RIP I bet him R.K. and Roth are jamming out right now.  :dancing2:

Jason

50Cent #II (1st print)

Corben here too.  Like R. Crumb too, but every time I think of R. Crumb, I remember that I think Charles and especially Maxon are(were) more talented in my book.

pupirse

Rory Hayes is my favorite artist.
if somebody know where to buy some original art or the bogeman color print, please let me know...

Visitor Q

Hayes has a book coming out.

Charles Crumb is amazing, better than Robert IMO. Infact I would add him to my favorite list, too bad there was not more of his stuff out there before he pasted.

Not a fan of Maxon at all.

Jason

Brother J

Maxon's stuff is very...modern art-ish. I like it, though. I like what I've seen of Charles' work, but I've really only seen it in the Crumb movie. Is there any affordable way to see more of his stuff?

Visitor Q

That depends on what consider affordable.

The Complete Foo (around $100 to $150+)
Crumb Family Comics ($25 or less)

If anyone knows of more where Charles's work appears, please let me know and I don't mean stuff that cannot be obtained.

Jason

ps. I would sell my first born for this...  :icon_madu:

http://www.rcrumb.net/familygallery/charles.html

Brother J

Quote from: Ultimo Mondo Bizarro on November 14, 2007, 12:17:25 PM
That depends on what consider affordable.

The Complete Foo (around $100 to $150+)
Crumb Family Comics ($25 or less)

If anyone knows of more where Charles's work appears, please let me know and I don't mean stuff that cannot be obtained.

Jason

ps. I would sell my first born for this...  :icon_madu:

http://www.rcrumb.net/familygallery/charles.html

I might pick up a copy of Crumb Family Comics, Complete Foo is not out of my price range, but I have a lot of other stuff I would spend that $100 on first.

Visitor Q

Well keep in mind that if you can find it for 100 I would grab it, cause that would be a good deal IMO.

The Crumb Family thinger is a very good book. Last Gasp put it out, defiantly worth picking up except for the fact that it has his wife's junk and his daughter shit in it. BLAH!

Jason

dr_s

Anyone on the site that will be at the show, I can bring a Mint Foo for $100. Let me know