American Splendor by Vertigo

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), April 09, 2008, 01:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmilwaukee6er

it just makes me want to collect the classic bronze age pekar like crazy.  do you guys think that prices have peaked from AS movie highs?  i would be looking in the strict 8.5 range & perhaps buying CGC hoping for a break (sometimes at this grade).  i have the bare bones #1-3, but ought to be looking to push through the crumb covers (#4 & 6).

$40-50 each?  more?

dr_s

Let me look, I have a nice that I can break up. While I'm at it, any one need a NM Arcade set for $100?

Brother J

Quote from: oldmilwaukee6er on August 25, 2008, 06:46:42 PM
ANYWAYs... went to the nice little comic shop on the 1800 block of farwell (off brady) 

Death to Collector's Edge!!!

That location is owned by the same guy who was such a prick about letting me look through his underground comix stock at the Kinnickinnic store. The one on Farwell is the only one of their four locations I had never been to. They opened shortly before I moved, and I knew they probably had nothing in the way of back issues, being a new location, so I didn't think it was worth my time.

Is this the closest store to you? My regular shop was Lost Worlds of Wonder near 60th and Oklahoma, but I guess if you're living on the east side of Milwaukee, the Farwell store is probably the closest.

Are you aware that the east side of Milwaukee is where the underground comix movement in Milwaukee was happening back in the day? Kitchen Sink had their offices in that area.

oldmilwaukee6er

thanks for the offer DrS!  i will let you know shortly.... nice price on the set of Arcade's too. 

i am on the east side (think oakland gyros) & there are NO back issues at the farwell location (was just intending to buy a longbox).  it is just typical, stocked w/ new comics & trades.  the only crumb they had was "crumbology."  for me, coming from LA & MT comics shops, it is a nice little city store.  but i wholly agree about them in general.  of course i already shared my 1st attempt at cherry picking those supposed '12 boxes of UGs' w/ you.

:ridinghorse:  i had this wild thought yesterday of raiding the store, armed w/ FUG typos & undervalued books (they price on the spot based on FUG), and scour all the gems in the rough.  posting the spoils on the boards for our revelry.  but first i have to prove worthy... 
:viking:

broj- we should collaborate on an article about milwaukee's underground comix movement.  i was re-reading kitchen's entry in dez skinns COMIX,

trunch59

One reason the DC American Splendor is a limited series is that Harvey doesn't really want to do the "old style" Splendor anymore. He feels that at this point he is "drawing from the same well", but he keeps getting "pressured" into doing it again. It's hard to say how much longer he'll keep "giving in" to that pressure.

Brother J

Quote from: trunch59 on August 28, 2008, 11:23:42 AM
One reason the DC American Splendor is a limited series is that Harvey doesn't really want to do the "old style" Splendor anymore. He feels that at this point he is "drawing from the same well", but he keeps getting "pressured" into doing it again. It's hard to say how much longer he'll keep "giving in" to the pressure.

You know, I'd like to see Harvey just do whatever he wants. I never really thought "American Splendor" had to be Harvey's everyday travails. I like the historical stuff, like the Quitter just as much.

Sir Real

Well, if Harvey isn't "drawing from the same well", it is certainly a pit in a different place.  I finished the Vertigo Vol. 2 series a couple of weeks ago.  Just not impressed.  The conflicts just don't seem as credible anymore.  To use an analogy, it feels as dumbed down as a Simpsons TV episode compared with Simpsons comic by Bongo.
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

trunch59

That's why he doesn't want to do that stuff anymore. It's the money grubbers that want him to keep "pumping it out" and I'm sure that his wife, Joyce adds to the pressure.