Zap Comix #0 (1st print) printing plate

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 02, 2008, 09:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Cent #II (1st print)

Nice piece of history.
[ obsolete or broken link removed ]

dr_s

This should be good. Jel against Ahkumulate. I know of both of their collections and resources.

over40artist

I'm drooling. Damn, in the old days with my endless credit cards, those would have been mine.

I'll have to settle for the Bijou 8 seps.

Comix Junky

:yikes:  WOW

What other plates does he have?
Does he have the full set?

Have you seen the garbage "test prints" from Apex, that Bebe Willams is selling.
(Facinating as all hell for collectors. But just garbage to printers)
I've been wondering for a while:
Why did the printer keep that useless garbage "test prints" for over 30 years?
Why didn't he keep important stuff? Like the PLATES?

Apperently he did.
But never mentioned it till now.

NOW I wonder:
If the original printer, has the original plates, and is the only source
for copies of the original printing, in mint condition. (after 30 years).
How do we really know how old they really are?
Does CGC do carbon dating?

Howcome the hairline wasn't noticed till THIS centurary?
Was the hairline in the negative?
Or is it a kink or crease in a plate that's been in storage or misshandeled for 30 years?

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Comix Junky

Hello?

(tap, tap)

Is this thing on?

Strange.
I've been holding that in for a few years.
Afraid to say it out loud.
Now that i've said it, I get NO reaction?
---------------
---------------
makes my skin crawl.

stage52

I think its a very good Question that  I  have wondered about for Years seeing many old comix that look in such pristine condition showing no aging in some cases.   :congrats:

dr_s

I have seen warehouse finds for almost everything in the real comic world. The Mile High Golden age, the Dell and Gold Key stuff from upper state NY, NYC and Wisconsin, the Harvey warehouse, the Big Little book stock, the second MIle High collection that came from of all people -the Mafia  It is not surprising that bulk stuff comes out. A few years ago, I know a dealer who bought 400 cartons of undergrounds from Siedbottom's estate and the rest went to Apex. All mint. Unless you have proof, do not assume that vast quantities of stuff can't exist. I know of one out there already. You would also be amazed at the stuff Neatstuff gets. I would like to know just how many platinum Spidey 1s he has.

Comix Junky

Quote from: dr_s on May 17, 2008, 04:04:44 PM
I have seen warehouse finds for almost everything in the real comic world. The Mile High Golden age, the Dell and Gold Key stuff from upper state NY, NYC and Wisconsin, the Harvey warehouse, the Big Little book stock, the second MIle High collection that came from of all people -the Mafia  It is not surprising that bulk stuff comes out. A few years ago, I know a dealer who bought 400 cartons of undergrounds from Siedbottom's estate and the rest went to Apex. All mint. Unless you have proof, do not assume that vast quantities of stuff can't exist. I know of one out there already. You would also be amazed at the stuff Neatstuff gets. I would like to know just how many platinum Spidey 1s he has.

Sure.
But those wern't found WITH THE PRINTING PLATES,
FROM THE ORIGIONAL PRINTER.

Plates and mint copies in the hands of ANY capable printer (AND dealer/collector)
looks like a "smoking gun" to me!

---------------
---------------
makes my skin crawl.

dr_s

Donahue got tons of stuff from Sidebottom. I know that the other dealer had 5 mint copies of all things the Blue Crumb German Sketchbook, since I bought them. He had boxes of other multiple stuff too. I've been to the Apex warehouse, and he has the stuff. The only rumor I ever heard was that there reprints of the Donahue Zap 1. If there were, then Neatstuff would have hundreds of them and would have offered them to me. In fact, the only thing that Neatstuff got tons of was the Tommy the Toilet poster. I know Mike of Neatstuff for over 30 years. If he could buy multiples of a copy, he would. You do not want to know how many Heroes Inc he has,

Comix Junky

Quanity is not relevant.

If you ever find me with a full set of plates.
and selling even a single copy, for more than the cost of printing a new batch (any size batch)...

...CALL  THE  F.B.I.

---------------
---------------
makes my skin crawl.

Rick Bradford

www.poopsheetfoundation.com
mini-comix history, cover galleries, forums, more