FNBK #7 (Obscure Obscene)

Started by 50Cent #II (1st print), May 07, 2008, 06:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverend

Here are the scans that I received from the Denver Zine Library (Thanks, Dylan!).

Redd

Hi all - Steve Ogden here.  Thanks, Rick, for bringing this to my attention.  It's always fun to find out about a new "old" zine containing Brad's art.  I have never heard of FNBK, although I do have a copy of Obscure 1.5 around here somewhere.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Welcome.
Still waiting for my copy of #1 and keeping an eye out for #1.5 also...

50Cent #II (1st print)

Been two weeks and I never heard back from Roberts (via phone or e-mail), too bad because I bet he could have supplied all the info. we could want.

Brother J

Congrats to the Reverend on getting that copy of Obscure 1.5 that just closed on eBay. I was going to try to snipe it, but my damn computer locked up. I wasn't going to bid much higher than it went for, so I probably wouldn't have won, anyway.

50Cent #II (1st print)

I tried for it also but it went over my snipe.

Here's the Obsure #1 (it's from March 1984) that arrived a couple days ago finally.  I was shocked to find it is a mag. size comic, no where near the size of the FNBK that's much smaller than a Snatch.  Rev. Let us know if the Coloring book is attached and included in #1 1/2?

Reverend

Thanks! I thought it was kind of funny that a copy popped up right around the time we were discussing it on this board. If it wasn't for this thread, I would've likely passed it by, considering that the cover isn't much to write home about. But if it has some Wilson art, it can't be all bad.

No problem. I'll post scans as soon as I receive it.

Reverend

Obscure #1.5 (Summer 1985) arrived today. It's digest-size, measuring 5.5" x 8.5" and has the Obscure Coloring Book, a fat little comic in its own right, measuring 2" x 2.5", glued to the right page of the centerspread.

There is an add in the back for the Obscure Funbooks #1-5 for $0.50 each or a signed/numbered "hardbound" (cardboard covers in a variety of colors) version for $4.00.

Each Funbook seems to have its own subtitle. There are pictures of each (including the then forthcoming #6).

#1 I Want My MX-TV
#2 Ooga Booga
#3 (too small to read)
#4 (too small to read)
#5 I Want My MX-TV
#6 Toxo Rama

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thanks for the scans.  Would it be possible to scan the indica and the FunBook ad?

Makes me wonder how many were printed and distributed of these FunBooks?  Not many if the major Underground Collectors on this site hadn't seen any before (and it's been out for over 20 years).  Was just wondering what I could get for #7 if I sold it?

By the way, anyone notice the letter to the editor in Weirdo #17 from Summer 1986 (page 3) from dc roberts (Long Beach)?

50Cent #II (1st print)

Found that on this site #1 used to be listed (on google cache) but doesn't appear there anymore.
http://lib.iastate.edu/spcl/manuscripts/MS636.html
All that was stated was Funbook #1 (1984), so we know that #1 came out in 1984 and #7 came out in 1986.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Hey Rev.  How about a scan of the indica and ad from Obscure #1 1/2?

monsterzero

wow!
i am amazed that after all these years anyone even remembers obscure and that copies of 'em are still floatin' around out there.
to anyone who has contacted me by phone... sorry for being negligent in returning your calls.
i do much better with email. if you need info, that would be the way to go.

just curious... how much did the copy on ebay go for?

Obscurity is the Refuge of Incompetence

50Cent #II (1st print)

The copy of Obscure #1 1/2 sold for $18.50.  I purchased my copy of #1 for $10 or $15 I think.
Welcome Dave and Steve.

50Cent #II (1st print)

Here's some updated info.  There was 7 issues to the (Obscure) Fun Book series.

(Obscure) FuN BooK
"obscure book 'o' fun" #1 I WANT MY MX-TV!  (1984)
#2 OOGA BOOGA--  (1984)
#3 Obscure Hot Shot!  (1984)
#4 ooga-booga-ooga-booga-, etc., etc.  (1984)
#5 I WANT MY MX-TV!  (1984)
"OBSCURE FNBK" #6 toxo- -rama  (1985)
"FNBK" #7 OBSCURE OBSCENE  (June 1986) (blue & pink paper variants)

Also, there was 2 printings of Obscure #1 (1st printing / March 1984)(not the Fun Book, but the mag. size comix)

Thanks Dave!

Titles added to the Wiki :rocker:

obscure boy 2

i'm second Dave's comments - it is curious these are still floating around out there.