Neil Young's On The Beach Sheet Music Book

Started by wpbooks, June 02, 2008, 10:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wpbooks

Ok this doesn't really qualify as a bonifide UG, but it did get published in 1974 and has an amazing portfolio of Rick Griffin art, around 10 or so pages in the rear, of stuff that seemed unfamiliar to me.  Has anyone here ever run across a copy?  It seems pretty obscure, as I was cleaning some books off a shelf in my living room and found it, when I had completely forgotten I had it and why I had it.  I am a Neil Young fan but I play no instruments.....so when I flipped through it I instantly saw why I had kept it all these years, and I don't recall seeing it cited much.  The artwork looks similar, and may very well be duplicates, of Man From Utopia, but it's weird to see so much of it in one place outside of a UG, especially in a place where all he really did of note was the lettering for the record.  Pretty cool, and next time I have the scanner cranked up I'll try to remember to scan some pix from it....but until then, anyone know this item?

surfadelic

All the black and white pages of Rick Griffin art published inside the On The Beach (1974) songbook had been previously published in Griffin's Man From Utopia (1972). Not the cover, of course.   Ida Griffin told me her husband Rick had been listening to Neil Young's albums, and some of the art in Man From Utopia, such as Silver Dagger, were influenced by Neil Young's music.

See this link for the songbook images:
http://www.thrasherswheat.org/tnfy/otb/artwork.htm

50Cent #II (1st print)

Thanks for the info. and welcome.  Look, two new posters in one day.  Things are moving...