New Page?

Started by Sir Real, October 08, 2007, 11:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Real

???
Maybe I'm just a bit dense, but I can't seem to figure out how to create a new page.  I can see where to edit an existing page, but I must be missing something here.
Timeo Hominem Unius Libri

Comix Junky

You'll like this, it's sorta existential.
First light up a joint - take a few tokes.
Then you sort of wish the page into existance.
Edit an existing page
... add a link to the non-existing page1 that you want to make.
and save.
Take another toke.
Then follow the link to the not-yet-existing page.
(altered reality is now vertual reality)
Edit this existential page and save to make it real.
Ain't that a trip?

In HTML you would make the page then the link.
Here, making the link creates a potential page.
Adding content and saving, finalizes the creation.
All the titles in red are links to not-yet-existing pages.

1 Note that you don't need extentions. no .txt no .html
I made the mistake of nameing pages A.html, B.html etc.
But they're not HTML.

Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Sir Real

Mmm.  Existential.  Thanks for the tip.  Guess I'm used to doing these things backwards.

Comix Junky

Yeah, me too.
I wish they was html. I already know html.
Collecting is a disease = Obsessive-Possessive Disorder.
---------------
Slabbing Undergrounds is sacrilege.
---------------
The phrase "Action 1 of the Undergrounds"
makes my skin crawl.

Sir Real

Here's another one I thought of.  For this example, I'll use the All New Underground Comix series.

I was looking at some of the series on the wiki, and I got to wondering if all the Arcades were placed into their own page, with each individual entry linking to it's own reprint page.

The ANUgC series is unique in that it is not only a series, but each one also has it's own name, e.g. Armageddon #1, Hot Crackers, Big League Laffs, etc.  It would be easy to make multiple links to the same end page.  I could look for ANUgC #2 under the A's, and Hot Crackers under the H's, and still end up on the same page.

Crap.  The more I look at it, the more it seems like I'm trying to turn this wiki into the same layout on my own site.  I'd much rather have something that works for the UGWiki!!!  Maybe I'll just keep me trap shut for awhile about this.  See where it develops.

ProJunior

I just tried creating my first page on this site, for All New Underground Comix #3, which already had a listing under the "A's" but nothing else.  I got some of the material up OK, but when I uploaded a thumb (probably too big) it didn't show up in the listing.  Also, this is a double-faced comic, with "High
School Funnies" starting on one side & "The Mountain" on the other, but I haven't figured out how to get both of them to come up from the listing, altho I uploaded both scans to the "covers" section OK.  This is an ongoing learning process but I wanted to let you know so that if you wanted to take a look at the results, maybe you could tell me where I went wrong.  Also, how do I reduce a scan down to just 70x100 pixels or so to use as a thumb.  The smallest I could get was about twice that, which is probably too big.  Anyway, FYI.
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

50Cent #II (1st print)

Welcome ProJunior (we should have an introduction by you...)
Wish I could help as I've also requested a how to on doing the thumbnail image thing, but haven't seen one yet.
Hope to see you around posting often,

ProJunior

[quote author=50Cent #II
Welcome ProJunior (we should have an introduction by you...)

Well, thanx.  I hadn't thought of that but I'd be happy to.  I'm a 65-yr.-old semi-retired document translator living in Fresno, CA, , self-employed.  Been doing that since 91.  Before that I was a teacher.  I've been collecting UG comix in a pretty desultory way for over 40 yrs. now.  First one I ever got, I think, was Feds & Heads in 67, unfortunately NOT the 1st printing!  (Sure wish it were NOW!  <g>)  But I was in Fresno at the time & you probably had to be in Austin, TX to get the first one.  Anyway, I now have a little over 500 & am thinking of selling them as I'm not gonna be around forever, altho if I do I guess I'll have to stop coming to this site since I won't have anything to contribute anymore.  <g>  I've scanned in the covers of all my UGs & found a few that weren't on this site so I tried uploading them, but still don't know enuff to get everything right.  I've been trying to use Sir Real's HTML examples (if that's what they are) but am still working on it.  I stumbled onto this site more or less by accident & then found Sir Real's site, which is quite interesting.  I like his monthly videos - too bad he hasn't made any since last yr., tho.

[i]Wish I could help as I've also requested a how to on doing the thumbnail image thing, but haven't seen one yet.
Hope to see you around posting often,
[/quote][/i]

Thank you.  Maybe that Comix Junky guy, who seems to run this list.  Maybe he can give us some advice when he has a chance.  I'll keep looking around & see what I can find & probably try to upload some more covers, if called for.
     Man, this site sure has a helluva lot of smileys!
  :01_bounce:
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

dr_s

I have a suggestion. Some of us are visual. Someone who knows how to make the page and add the thumbnails should write a step by step  illustrated set of instructions (using print screen and WORD). Then anounce that it has been done and send it out to anyone who wants it via pm. Actually I thought of another similar way. Once my high speed provider (Time Warner) gets on line, I can put a picture of the first screen on and someone can modify it to show what to type. After that step is done, I can send the screen of the second step to do etc, until it is all done. I say this because, while I teach computer science, I don;t know what to do and evidently Jason and Guy are having the same problems. I sent them over 80 pics for the As that haven't been put up yet.

over40artist

Nice. Good luck to everyone who wants to improve this site.

This is an important place and I hope it thrives as it goes through its growing pains.

stage52

all I can say is that if this is to be successful it has to be easy for the the layman to use even if he has little computer knowledge.  The instructions should be easy to follow or it just stops posters cold in their tracks.  Good Luck !!!!

dr_s

I finish classes Tuesday. On Wed I start sorting for San Diego and hope to have everything boxed (7-10 boxes of ugs) and on a list by mid June. On Wed I will also start a step by step processes on how to do the new page on Wiki. Right now I know how to update the data but not the thumb, large picture and save parts. I will the pics of what I know how to do and then ask questions on what I don.t. If peolpe can answer me based on my last illustraton, then by next Thurs or Friday we should have a comple illustrated version of how to right here. (There I go again, creating work for myself.)