Congratz on the restart

Started by human, September 20, 2015, 03:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

human

Congratz on the restart  :01_bounce:
- Zonker

Alexandros

Thanks! Problem is, both the wiki and forum are pretty much read only right now, to avoid getting hit by spammers... The previous installation was so drowned in spam, I had no hope of cleaning it up, so I reset everything to the dump you'd sent me.

I'm sure there's a way to open it up again but didn't have time to investigate and I don't have experience on running a forum. But now that I think about it, I do have a friend who might have some ideas. Let's see what I can do...

Also, note that the server can't send emails right now. Another thing to fix :/

Cheers!
Alexandros

ProJunior

I see there haven't been any more posts in this topic for more than a yr. now, so is progress still being made?  I must say, I'd be glad to see this forum/website become active again.  It's been about ten yrs. since it went down & I figured that it'd never come back.

-Projunior
Are we part of the moral potential being made complete on the pitchfork of Elmer Fudd?
- Chuck Moulton

Alexandros

So... after restarting the forum, I had neglected it and it became overrun by thousands of spam messages. After that I just disabled new registrations and let it just sit there.

Today, I looked at it again and felt sorry about the situation, so I deleted all accounts registered after March 2018 and all their associated topics and posts. It's possible I deleted a few real users - I actually found two real accounts among the thousands of spambots and spared them, but I might have missed some other real ones.

I don't believe anyone will start using the forum and wiki now, I guess all the regulars have moved on, but it's nice having a historical record and would be a pity to not delete all the spam. I've carefully reopened registrations (with admin moderation) - let's see how it goes.

Thanks,
Alexandros